Do you often find yourself walking through your home while covered in blankets? Or perhaps you’re astonished about your over-the-top energy bill that came in last month. Either way, it sounds like your home isn’t retaining heat very well.
Here are a few professional tips from our North Andover HVAC company to help your home retain heat more efficiently this winter.
- Seal Windows. Although they may look unsightly, using plastic window coverings can greatly reduce heat loss from your home’s windows. These coverings are very affordable and can be found at your local hardware store and only take a few minutes to set up per window.
- Add Storm Windows & Doors. Adding another layer of protection to your windows and doors will greatly reduce the stress on your heating system this winter. If you haven’t already, it’s important to install glass storm windows and doors at the first sign of cold weather. Be sure to store your window and door screens in a dry place for the spring.
- Block Your Chimney. If your home has a fireplace, consider using an inflatable draft stopper when you aren’t using your fireplace. Chimneys function to funnel air out of the house, but when there’s no roaring fire, cold air can flow down through this opening and cause your furnace to overwork itself to regulate your home’s temperature.
- Schedule Your Thermostat. Modern thermostats for central heating systems are a wonderful thing. You can save a ton of money every month by simply scheduling your home’s temperature to be different degrees at different times of the day. We recommend turning the thermostat down at night and while everyone is away at work and/or school.
- Replace or Upgrade Your HVAC System. Although this is a larger investment than the other options, replacing your old HVAC system with a new, more energy efficient heating system is one of the best ways to save money on heating bills in the long run. At Air Conditioning Mass, we recommend choosing a trusted name brand, such as American Standard, for all your central heating needs. If your system is over 12-15 years old, it’s definitely time to consider a new system!
If your central heating system not functioning like it used to? Contact our heating company in North Andover today for maintenance, repairs, or new installation services!